Monday, April 7, 2008

Inzamam threatens to sue Shoaib



Pot shots, emotional outbursts, accusations and allegations - that's Pakistani cricket for you these days. The latest Shoaib Akhtar saga threatens to take an ugly turn with former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq threatening to take legal action against the 'bad boy' of Pakistani cricket.

Shoaib has alleged in a TV show that Inzy and Moin offered him money to underperform. The former Pak skipper shot back saying he and Moin were considering suing the tainted speedster.

"We are waiting to see what happens. But myself and Moin are consulting and we will then decide to may be sue him," Inzamam has said.

Shoaib went virtually beserk after the Pakistan Cricket Board banned him for 5 years. The pacer hopped from one television station to another making emotional appeals, and angry outbursts were the order of the day.

In an interview to Pakistani news channel Geo TV, had Akhtar claimed he had turned down offers from bookmakers in South Africa and India to under-perform.

"I was given a chance to become someone by Pakistan, and I have never let it down. I got a lot of offers from bookies. Ironically even those convicted of involvement in gambling have not got this much punishment (5 years). In 2003 people approached me, even came to my hotel room in Johannesbourg with a briefcase full of money. I told them I would not betray my country, or my culture. This happened even during the India tours. Does this not count on one's disciplinary record? If Kolkata IPL's SRK has any complaints regarding discipline against me, I will myself retire from cricket," Shoaib Akhtar stated in the interview.

During Inzy's stint as captain, Shoaib Akhtar has been involved in umpteen controversies  - no wonder then, that the Pakistan captain had come out in support of the PCB when Shoaib was banned.

"What can I say about Shoaib? His whole career has been full of controversies. Those who have played with him know him well. He has got into one scrap after another," he said. "This ban was coming because of his repeated bad behaviour. Yes, five years is a bit harsh but the ban is totally justified," he stated.

With Shoaib's appeal still pending with the PCB, there could just be more drama in store - after all, it's Pakistani cricket!

No comments: